Financial Operations Manager @ Startmate
Reporting to: Michael Batko, Startmate CEO
Salary range: $100k-$150k + super + carry + equity
Location: remote, or HQ in Melbourne, or office in Sydney or Auckland
APPLY HERE by 20th June 2021.
🤓 The Role
You will run finance at Startmate.
You are comfortable with accounting, bookkeeping, business operations, regulatory environments and talking with lawyers. You will be the conductor coordinating legal, tax, compliance and accounting advice, but also are not afraid to get your hands dirty jumping straight into bookkeeping and accounting yourself.
This is our first role in the Operations team with the view of building out the Financial Operations function with your help.
Startmate’s Financial Operations are currently done by the Blackbird Operations team. You will transition them into the Startmate team.
At a high level there are three key parts to this job.
- Function ownership: own Financial Operations holistically at Startmate
- Responsibility coordination: determine the support needed whether that’s an internal team or external lawyer, account support, etc.
- Future initiatives: empower further Startmate growth especially through fund growth such as establishing new trusts, funds and potentially a larger ESVCLP fund in the future.
💥 What do you absolutely have to have?
- Accounting acumen: whether that’s a degree, certificate, previously managed accountants, or personal love for P&Ls, Balance Sheets, BAS, tax returns, etc.
- Compliance mindset: we operate in a highly regulated environment, so we need you to be last line of defence to make sure we are hitting all of our obligations, all the time.
- Reporting love language: you live for acronyms and filing these reports with a high degree of accuracy. Whether it’s FATCA, CRS, AMMA, AML reporting, this is your love language.
- Legalese: you don’t shy away from legal documents and contracts. You don’t have to be a lawyer, but you know the right questions to ask a lawyer.
🤗 Key Responsibilities
What does the job entail?
Here is a comprehensive list of all the things you will own.
1. Accounting + bookkeeping
- Startmate budget
- Running Startmate’s tax compliance from end to end
- Reconciling the funds’ balance sheets and performing weekly cash reconciliations
- Financial statement preparation
- Xero management (raising invoices and COA management)
- Performing month-end processes (journals and monthly reconciliations)
- General payables function
- Payment of distributions
2. Fund compliance
- AFSL compliance
- AML compliance and reporting to AUSTRAC
- FATCA/CRS compliance & reporting
3. Legal liaison
- Bridge to lawyers regarding:
- Fund matters (working knowledge of fund documents)
- Secondary / exit sales
- IM drafting and updating
- New fund documents
- Structuring — think through the implications of new initiatives for AFSL and other regulatory purposes
- Setting up and managing carry trusts
👀 What is Startmate?
Startmate is the epicentre of startup ambition in Australia and New Zealand.
At our core, we’re a community of the most ambitious founders, operators and investors built on seamless, deserved trust. That high density of ambition coupled with success pulls in more awesome people into our orbit.
The community revolves around three core pillars.
- Founders: our Accelerator.
- Operators: our Fellowship for women, students and engineers.
- Investors: our First Believers program.
The Accelerator helps Founders scale their businesses from the first dollar to hundreds of millions.
The Fellowship empowers Operators to take a leap into a startup.
The First Believers program gives an inside view into startup investing.
💪 How does Startmate’s Financial Operations function work?
Startmate’s Financial Operations are run by Blackbird’s Operations team. As Startmate has rapidly grown you are the first and key hire to build out a Startmate Operations team.
You will be closely liaising with the Blackbird Operations team to transition Financial Operations to yourself and your future team.
- Alex Apoifis, COO — oversight, regulatory, compliance
- Justine Nangle, General Counsel / Alissa Lucas, Lawyer / Anthoney Duong, Legal Counsel - Investments — law and fund management
- Justina Yap, Financial Controller / Lucia Salim, Financial Accountant / Sue Zann Wong, Fund Accountant — accounting, reporting, tax statements
- Josh Golde, Accountant — bookkeeping & accounts payable
- Dan Danilov / Catt Vongpraseuth in Business Operations — financial operations, reporting, AML, FATCA, CRS
💕 What you might love working at Startmate
- The Startmate community is a unique mix of founders, operators and investors. The one thing everyone has in common is ambition.
- You will have very high autonomy to realise your dreams within your area.
- We work with a hospitality mindset front of mind with consistently high NPS for all of our programs of 70+.
- Startmate is much more than just our team, it’s a community built on paying it forward.
- Our mission is to increase startups chances to succeed. With that as your north star, you can experiment and launch initiatives within Startmate in a matter of hours.
- We are a remote-first team with coverage across Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle, Noosa and New Zealand.
- You get to work with every well-known and less-well-known Australian and Kiwi startup, VC and angel. Canva, Safety Culture, Propeller, Vend, Xero, Blackbird, Square Peg, AirTree, rampersand, Tempus Partners, you name it.
😖 What you might hate working at Startmate
- We’re a small startup ourselves. We’re a team of 4 FTE which just scaled to 12 FTE. We’ve never done this before and will be making lots of mistakes along the way.
- We won’t handhold you. You’ll be given full autonomy and most processes and systems will be put in place by yourself. You’ll also have to dig through our google drive to find the right resources.
- We are comfortable with chaos. Things move so quickly at Startmate, that you will find out things last minute, we’ll be coming up with things on the fly and not everything will work out.
- We are feedback addicted. We collect feedback from our founders, operators, investors and team consistently and action it immediately. It sometimes hurts in the moment, but is what helps us be customer-first in the long term.
APPLY HERE by 20th June 2021.
The epicentre for startup ambition across Australia and New Zealand
© 2021 Startmate