Hi SM Family,
Things are in full swing!
The Women Fellowship cohort V kicked off. Demo Day for the Accelerator is in 2 weeks.
We had 3 new Startmates join the team. Pls welcome:
- Cameron >> Student Fellowship Associate - running our Student Fellowship Program;
- Bronte >> Outreach & Events Associate - running all things comms and events; and
- Brady >> Senior Investor Associate - running our First Believers Program.
We will also be receiving funding from LaunchVic of $1.8m and $1.25m in the SM funds over the next 2-3 years to further expand our Victorian operations.
Join Demo Day - HERE - 15th April 4pm (Sydney time).
Small Bets Fund
We’re raising $1m to invest in 21 Founders all year around - if you want to hear more - hit reply and I’ll forward you the full write up!
Extend our reach - team, outreach, events, equitable design, segmented database
- Clubhouse “Startmate After Dark” has become a weekly event + we now have a Startmate Club - join here!
- We’ve started raising a Small Bets Fund >> hit reply if you want to hear more!
Explicit infrastructure - copy paste program infrastructure, dashboards, FinOps
- We’ve started creating the infrastructure to launch 10+ programs a year and find 1,000+ Fellows a year their sweet spot in startups.
- We’ve had one of the biggest operational endeavours at Startmate happen this month with 3x interview nights with 150x Fellows and 150x interviewers.
Experiment with products - Accelerator, Fellowship (Women, Student, Eng, Founders), First Believers, City
- Women Fellowship kicked off on Monday with 100 Fellows and 100+ Coaches + 54 Buddies (alumni!)
- We’ve finally met the full Startmate Team in person 😬 We had our Startmate offsite, which means so much to our Team as we work fully remotely.
- The Victorian funding is 100% confirmed and public. We’ve got some big goals to hit, which will truly shape the ecosystem.
- S21 fund is our largest fund yet with $1.95m. Even better - 31 mentors have signed up for what we call our SaaS (Startmate as a Subscription) pre-committing $4.5m in funds for the next 3 years.
- We’ve got 11 awesome sponsors for our Women Fellowship for this cohort:
- Brighte 💥
- Folklore Ventures 🌀
- Square Peg 🥳
- x15ventures 🎉
- Upswell VC 😃
- Josef 🚀
- Qualtrics 🤟
- 5B 🌏
- Secure Code Warrior 💃🏼
- Who Gives A Crap 💫
- Blackbird Ventures 💚
- MVP First Believers cohort mid-program NPS of 45 and excited about all the feedback of things we can easily improve on.
- Mentor mid-program NPS of 58, slowly getting better cohort on cohort (vs last cohort NPS 50) and also great feedback we’ll be leaning into.
- Founder mid-program NPS of 76 - full feedback here - lots of goods, but there’s a big opportunity for us to create stronger intra-cohort relationships.
- We’ve finally transferred the management fee for the NZ20 fund - an operational hiccup, just meant that we had to manage Startmate’s cashflow better.
- We love experimenting and trying new MVP software. Unfortunately, this month it was to our detriment. We run our interview nights, and ran our International Women’s Day event on a tool called VideoFacilitator, which we’ve always loved, but this time the tech really struggled.
- Unable to find the right candidates for our Engineering and Talent Associate roles we were hiring for.
- We’ve only had 10 applications for our Product Manager role >> hence we extended the deadline to Sunday >> reshare this pls!
Startmate in the News
- LaunchVic funds Startmate, in The AFR.
- Startmate serendipity, in a blog post by Sascha.
- Founder Mid-program feedback, full breakdown by Sascha.
- Read about our next Student Fellowship, in a blog post by Cameron.
Your Team Startmate
+ Ryan in Auckland who unfortunately couldn't join us yet!
The epicentre for startup ambition across Australia and New Zealand
© 2021 Startmate