Reporting to CEO Michael Batko.
Location: Australia or NZ (Victoria preferred).
Salary: $70k-$100k inc super + equity + carry.
How to apply?
Apply via Applied - here - by 4th April 2021.
1. Team - engagement (CultureAmp score) and infrastructure (meeting rhythms, offsites, etc).
2. Streamlined systems - owner of internal templates and infrastructure so each program knows when to do what (planning, post-mortem, feedback reflection etc) and dashboards.
3. Cohesive internal community - breaking down silos between our programs and increasing cross-team and community engagement.
Our Chief of Staff will amplify the impact of our team and community. We hope you love building the operational systems of Startmate, assisting with our decision making, keeping our calendars accountable to our greatest priorities and work on special projects to expand Startmate.
The role offers a unique way to gain an inside understanding to work across the whole of Startmate - Team, Accelerator, Fund, Fellowship, First Believers, City, etc.
Role of a Chief of Staff
What does that mean at Startmate? You will be making sure that our (1) CEO, (2) Team and (3) Community work at their best.
What does that look like? Here are some of the things you will be working on, but note that this role is multifaceted so you will get pulled into lots of different and new projects not mentioned below.
- Lead smooth team meetings
- Organise quarterly offsites
- Steward of Culture Amp feedback + actions
- Infrastructure for programs to ensure consistency across Fellowships, Accelerator, First Believers programs - ie post-mortems, feedback gathering and consolidation, planning
- Creating pathways for the community to engage across programs
Who we’re looking for?
You love making order out of chaos, you need to be a methodical organiser.
You need to be able to see the big picture of things. A strategic mindset helps align detailed work to the big picture strategy, as well as evaluate what is urgent versus important.
GSD stands for Get [Stuff] Done. You have a reputation for never dropping the ball.
You will be exposed to sensitive or confidential information in the normal course of executing the role.
Finally, a day-to-day part of being a CoS requires managing conversations, synthesising multiple points of view, and aligning on direction…all in an impartial and professional way. We’re a fully remote team, this skillset is crucial.
We have a sense of ‘Enlightened Hospitality’, which simply means that the whole team has a focus on helping each other and collectively has an obsession for customer service. You should too.
What is Startmate?
Startmate is the centre of startup gravity in Australia and New Zealand.
At our core, we’re a community of the most ambitious founders, operators and investors built on seamless, deserved trust. That high density of ambition coupled with success pulls in more awesome people into our orbit.
The community revolves around three core pillars:
- Founders — our Accelerator;
- Operators — our Fellowship for women, students and engineers; and
- Investors — our First Believers program.
The Accelerator helps Founders scale their businesses from the first dollar to hundreds of millions.
The Fellowship empowers Operators to take a leap into a startup.
The First Believers program gives an insight view into startup investing.
What you might love about working at Startmate:
- The Startmate community is a unique mix of founders, operators and investors — the one thing everyone has in common is ambition.
- You will have very high autonomy to realise your dreams within your area.
- We work with a hospitality mindset front of mind with consistently high NPS for all of our programs of 70+.
- Startmate is much more than just our team, it’s a community built on paying it forward.
- Our mission is to increase startups’ chances to succeed. With that as your north star, you can experiment and launch initiatives within Startmate in a matter of hours.
- We are a remote-first team with coverage across Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle, Noosa and New Zealand.
- You get to work with every well known and less well-known Australian and Kiwi startup, VC and angel — Canva, Safety Culture, Propeller, Vend, Xero, Blackbird, Square Peg, AirTree, rampersand, Tempus Partners — you name it.
What you might hate about working at Startmate:
- We’re a small startup ourselves. We’re a small team that just scaled to 10+ FTE. We’ve never done this before and will be making lots of mistakes along the way.
- We won’t handhold you. You’ll be given full autonomy and most processes and systems will be put in place by yourself. You’ll also have to dig through our google drive to find the right resources.
- We are comfortable with chaos. Things move so quickly at Startmate, that you will find out things last minute, we’ll be coming up with things on the fly and not everything will work out.
- We are feedback addicted. We collect feedback from our founders, operators, investors and team consistently and action it immediately. It sometimes hurts in the moment, but is what helps us be customer-first in the long term.
The epicentre for startup ambition across Australia and New Zealand
© 2021 Startmate