Reporting to Sophia Witherington, Head of Fellowship.
Location: Victoria (or willing to relocate).
Salary: $70k-$100k inc super + equity + carry.
How to apply?
1. Design the optimal experience for startups to hire a Startmate Fellow.
You get this email: “Hey XXX, I saw the awesome Fellowships Startmate is running. I’m hiring for 3x roles atm what’s the best way for me to hire someone out of the Fellowship? Jane, Founder XXX.”
What happens next? How will this work at ~50 emails, just like this, a week.
2. Send (a) 5 slides and (b) a Loom recording talking about your slides to email@example.com (subject line: “Product Manager Application”) explaining how you would solve that challenge (without touching code).
Deadline: 4th April 2021.
- Your Customer: Fellow and Startup hiring experience.
- Your Product: Build system for Fellows and Companies to self-manage hiring.
- Your KPI: Get 50% of Fellows (~500+ / year) hired / into internships.
Role of a Product Manager
A product manager is the person who identifies the customer need and the larger business objectives that a product will fulfil. They then articulate what success looks like for a product, and rally a team to turn that vision into a reality.
At Startmate, you’ll be the product owner, as well as builder. We don’t have an army of engineers, but love creating beautiful experiences through simple, yet powerful tools that anyone can learn (Airtable, Notion, Zapier, etc).
1. Understanding and representing user needs (i.e. Fellow + Hiring Manager).
- Fellows: to be up to date on what jobs are available and how to connect to them.
- Hiring Managers: create a system for sharing the roles they are hiring for with Fellows + then connecting them to relevant Fellowship talent.
2. Monitoring the market and developing competitive analyses.
- Track what Hiring Managers are looking for + feedback into outreach plan.
- Optimise the talent funnel and feedback loop.
3. Helping teams execute on a shared vision.
- Work across all Programs to place 50% of fellows in jobs.
- Work across all Programs to feedback into outreach strategies (what talent should we be bringing in to the program).
4. Prioritising product features and capabilities.
- Own the systems and customer experience to deliver on goals.
- Make the hiring experience intuitive for Fellows + Hiring Managers.
Ability to talk to and build trust with founders.
You have a deep understanding of the startup industry and the type of talent profiles it attracts.
Natural empathy and curiosity for others, can build relationships with young graduates through to seasoned executives and founders - and do so at scale.
Many customers with many opinions. Be laser-focused on finding the most efficient path to placing Fellows in jobs.
How can you generate revenue from placing Fellows through a platform / system that you have created.
Build your own MVPs and systems in no-code tools like Airtable, Notion and Zapier. Create scalable systems that empower the user.
What is Startmate?
Startmate is the centre of startup gravity in Australia and New Zealand.
At our core, we’re a community of the most ambitious founders, operators and investors built on seamless, deserved trust. That high density of ambition coupled with success pulls in more awesome people into our orbit.
The community revolves around three core pillars:
- Founders — our Accelerator;
- Operators — our Fellowship for women, students and engineers; and
- Investors — our First Believers program.
The Accelerator helps Founders scale their businesses from the first dollar to hundreds of millions.
The Fellowship empowers Operators to take a leap into a startup.
The First Believers program gives an insight view into startup investing.
What you might love about working at Startmate:
- The Startmate community is a unique mix of founders, operators and investors — the one thing everyone has in common is ambition.
- You will have very high autonomy to realise your dreams within your area.
- We work with a hospitality mindset front of mind with consistently high NPS for all of our programs of 70+.
- Startmate is much more than just our team, it’s a community built on paying it forward.
- Our mission is to increase startups’ chances to succeed. With that as your north star, you can experiment and launch initiatives within Startmate in a matter of hours.
- We are a remote-first team with coverage across Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle, Noosa and New Zealand.
- You get to work with every well known and less well-known Australian and Kiwi startup, VC and angel — Canva, Safety Culture, Propeller, Vend, Xero, Blackbird, Square Peg, AirTree, rampersand, Tempus Partners — you name it.
What you might hate about working at Startmate:
- We’re a small startup ourselves. We’re a small team that just scaled to 10+ FTE. We’ve never done this before and will be making lots of mistakes along the way.
- We won’t handhold you. You’ll be given full autonomy and most processes and systems will be put in place by yourself. You’ll also have to dig through our google drive to find the right resources.
- We are comfortable with chaos. Things move so quickly at Startmate, that you will find out things last minute, we’ll be coming up with things on the fly and not everything will work out.
- We are feedback addicted. We collect feedback from our founders, operators, investors and team consistently and action it immediately. It sometimes hurts in the moment, but is what helps us be customer-first in the long term.
The epicentre for startup ambition across Australia and New Zealand
© 2021 Startmate